At Vimy Bridge Dental, we provide direct billing service. If your dental plan has the provision of direct payment with your authorization, we can contact your insurance company on your behalf and get your insurance breakdown. Direct billing is an easy way to handle insurance payments. After your treatment, we can electronically submit your insurance claim. Your insurance company will pay directly to us, so you don’t have to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement from the insurance company. You would be responsible for paying a fee if there is any difference between the cost of your dental treatment and your insurance coverage. For example, if your insurance company pays for 80% of the cost of your treatment, you would be responsible for paying the remaining 20%.
We will do our best to obtain as much information as possible from your insurance company regarding your coverage, but you are solely responsible for knowing and keeping track of your insurance coverage and amount.
If you have any questions, our team is here to help. Please contact us for more details.